• Instructions to Ask a Question

Click on the "Ask a Question" button and select the application for which you would like to ask questions.

We have 5 different products namely - Pabbly Connect, Pabbly Subscription Billing, Pabbly Email Marketing, Pabbly Form Builder, Pabbly Email Verification.

The turnaround time is 24 hrs (Business Hours - 10.00 AM to 6.00 PM IST, Except Saturday and Sunday). So your kind patience will be highly appreciated!

🚀🚀Exclusive Discount Offer

Just in case you're looking for any ongoing offers on Pabbly, you can check the one-time offers listed below. You just need to pay once and use the application forever -

🔥 Pabbly Connect One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) -  View offer 

🔥 Pabbly Subscription Billing One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) - View offer

Data Forwarder → Return Data to Source → Within a Router

Hi there,

here is what I'm basically trying to achieve:
  • Outer workflow
    • Calling inner workflow via Pabbly Data Forwarder: Forward Custom Data
      • Inner workflow: receiving data
      • doing stuff
      • using a Pabbly Router
        • Route 1: returning data to outer workflow via Pabbly Data Forwarder: Return Custom Response to the Source
        • Route 2: doing stuff and returning data to outer workflow
        • Route 3: doing even more stuff and returning data to outer workflow
    • Receiving returned data from inner workflow
My problem is, that the outer workflow does not receive the data returned by the inner workflow.

It receives { Status: success, Message: Successfully Forwarded } – but I'm missing the additional data, which should be returned by one of the routes.

My first idea was: is it not returned, because the Return Custom Response to the Source is not the last action in the workflow? This might be the case when route 1 and 2 are called (workflow history shows that all routes are checked, even after one route's condition was true and content is executed). But when I ensure that route 3 is executed and therefor the Return is definitely the last action, it also doesn't return anything.

So is Return Custom Response to the Source generally not working within a router?

One question aside: How exactly does a Router behave?
  1. like if { } else if { } else if { }
  2. like if { } if { } if { }
What I'm missing in Pabbly Connect is a simple IF-action. Like the filter, but in the way that it continues after a false condition ("if [conditions] execute the next n actions, else continue after these n actions"). That would make life so much easier. ;-)

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @Finding Frodo

After reviewing both workflows, we cannot find any action step of the Data Forwarder to forward the data.

So, can you please record a short video on your concern, so that we can look into it and guide you?

It's step #7 in the outer workflow, that uses the Data Forwarder.

Pabbly Connect - Google Chrome 2023-02-24 09.24.45.png

Anyway, the call works perfectly. It's the return that does never happen.

Pabbly Connect - Google Chrome 2023-02-24 09.28.24.png

Data is returned in the inner workflow in each router condition:

Pabbly Connect - Google Chrome 2023-02-24 09.30.23.png

Is it maybe a syntax problem of the returned JSON Data?

Supreme

Staff member
One question aside: How exactly does a Router behave?
  1. like if { } else if { } else if { }
  2. like if { } if { } if { }
The Router action follows the 2nd option like if { } if { } if { }

For a better understanding, you can refer to the following video tutorial.

Further, can you please share your use case once with the help of a short recorded video, as it appears that the condition which you have set in your workflow?

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @Finding Frodo

As we can see from your workflow you are trying to send the custom data to the source from one to another workflow which is not possible.

The "Data Forwarder" only sends the data back to the current workflow's source only, it doesn't move the data to the other source apart from the current workflow.

@Supreme Okay, so what exactly is the current (inner) workflow's source? Isn't that the caller of the webhook?

Is there any other way in Pabbly, to create a workflow that behaves like a web service? → getting called by url with params, returning JSON data when done

How else can I achieve what I'm trying to achieve?

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @Finding Frodo

As the source of your inner process is another workflow, it won't proceed to the source of the outer workflow. After that, it will be void. Since the linked process is required for the "Data Fowarder with a return back to the source," action step, only that workflow can be used to send back the data.

And it doesn't seem possible to revert the custom data to another source.

So, as a solution, we can recommend you use the single workflow and add the action steps of the Inner workflow inside the Routers in the outer workflow

@Supreme …which would mean to double or even triple all ~20 following actions of the outer workflow into 2-3 cases of the router.

Would be much easier if we had a single IF-Action as suggested above. Or if it would be possible to add more steps after a router.

Supreme

Staff member
Would be much easier if we had a single IF-Action as suggested above. Or if it would be possible to add more steps after a router.
I am sorry to say that it is not possible to make such changes to our core functionality. For your use case, we can only recommend you to use the Router action step in the same workflow.