• Instructions to Ask a Question

Click on the "Ask a Question" button and select the application for which you would like to ask questions.

We have 5 different products namely - Pabbly Connect, Pabbly Subscription Billing, Pabbly Email Marketing, Pabbly Form Builder, Pabbly Email Verification.

The turnaround time is 24 hrs (Business Hours - 10.00 AM to 6.00 PM IST, Except Saturday and Sunday). So your kind patience will be highly appreciated!

🚀🚀Exclusive Discount Offer

Just in case you're looking for any ongoing offers on Pabbly, you can check the one-time offers listed below. You just need to pay once and use the application forever -

🔥 Pabbly Connect One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) -  View offer 

🔥 Pabbly Subscription Billing One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) - View offer

How to remove sharing access for all in Pabbly?

JeffreyYu

There's a helpful feature in Google Drive to "Share a File With Anyone" which I'm using.

But I need the reverse function, which is to restrict access from everyone. The only relevant feature, though, is "Remove File/Folder Access" for an individual user.

Is there anyway to do this? Perhaps with the Share A File Advance action?

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @JeffreyYu

At the moment, the desired action in Google Drive is not accessible. However, if you incorporate the following workaround into your workflow, you will be able to revoke access for all the individuals with whom you've shared the file or folder.

1698210306633.png

JeffreyYu

Oh interesting! What if its a random email address accessed from incognito? As in, it's not associated with any particular email address, but instead I had just shared it with everyone?

I'm trying to access this google doc from our website (when the user isn't necessarily logged into their gmail account). Would file advance let me do that somehow? or is it simply not possible to change the general access to a certain organization? (instead of anyone)

1698211628710.png

JeffreyYu

Oh, I see the issue. Once you add an "anyone can view" link, then there's no way to Restrict it. That would be an important feature to implement -- where can I request it?

JeffreyYu

I thought of a potential workaround: moving the file into a folder with "anyone can view" permissions, and then into a folder with limited access. But when I try to do that, I get an error saying "increasing the number of parents is not allowed." Is this an issue on Pabbly's end?

1698212751123.png

JeffreyYu

Hmmm ... I tried to think of a third workaround, which would be to simply create a temporary copy of the Google Doc. But when I try to copy the file using the Google Drive action step, it doesn't copy over the suggestions from the original. Is there a way to get around this?

JeffreyYu

In sum, there are three workarounds, each which don't work.

1. Share a File with everyone --> Pabbly Connect cannot Remove a Link, and "restrict" access after sharing with everyone
2. Move the File into a folder with different sharing permissions --> You can't change the parent ID of the file and move between folders.
3. Create a temporary copy of the Google Doc in a folder with different sharing permissions --> Comments and suggestions are not copied over.

Are there any workarounds I'm missing for each of these?

JeffreyYu

Never mind, I figured out a workaround! I just have to change the user I'm logged into as for the second option. Then I can just move between folders, and let those folder permissions take effect!

Supreme

Staff member
Hmmm ... I tried to think of a third workaround, which would be to simply create a temporary copy of the Google Doc. But when I try to copy the file using the Google Drive action step, it doesn't copy over the suggestions from the original. Is there a way to get around this?
Regrettably, I couldn't identify an alternative solution to restrict the overall permissions of the file or folder as per your request.

I figured out a workaround! I just have to change the user I'm logged into as for the second option. Then I can just move between folders, and let those folder permissions take effect!
That's a great idea, I hope this workaround might work for you.