• Instructions to Ask a Question

Click on the "Ask a Question" button and select the application for which you would like to ask questions.

We have 5 different products namely - Pabbly Connect, Pabbly Subscription Billing, Pabbly Email Marketing, Pabbly Form Builder, Pabbly Email Verification.

The turnaround time is 24 hrs (Business Hours - 10.00 AM to 6.00 PM IST, Except Saturday and Sunday). So your kind patience will be highly appreciated!

🚀🚀Exclusive Discount Offer

Just in case you're looking for any ongoing offers on Pabbly, you can check the one-time offers listed below. You just need to pay once and use the application forever -

🔥 Pabbly Connect One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) -  View offer 

🔥 Pabbly Subscription Billing One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) - View offer

Task duplication in ClickUp when Trello card updated, not just when moved between lists

I have set up an automation that gets triggered from Trello and creates tasks inside ClickUp.

Using "Card Moved To A Specific List" in Trello as a trigger, it takes the Trello card name and creates a task in ClickUp with that same name. That bit works fine.

However, when the card gets updated (new comment, file added etc), a whole new task is generated in ClickUp!

Further, if I move that card from the triggering list to a different one, even more tasks are created!

Has anyone else seen this happen or know how to fix it? I know @FilioTech had something similar happen...

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @THATBranding

Seems like Trello API is sending the same card for different events 2 times. So as a solution we would recommend you to use the Filter action step

with the "Action Display TranslationKey" label.

2022-08-05_12h57_20.png

Thanks @Supreme , but I think you misunderstand.

The initial creation of the task is fine - with the three steps (1. Identify Trello list for which a new card might be added, 2. Create Task A in ClickUp, 3. Create Task B in Clickup) the automation happens fine, and the tasks get created in ClickUp.

What happens after that is that ANY change to the card itself, a new task is generated.
Add a comment? HAVE A NEW TASK!
Add a description? HAVE A NEW TASK!
Move the card to a differnet list you have not specified in the automation? HAVE A NEW TASK!
Delete the card? HAVE A NEW TASK! (although this time the task will not pick up the name)

It seems that the trigger of "Trello: new card" really means "Trello: new activity associated with any card in the list"

And I added the filter you mention and it does the same thing - adding the filter has not helped.

I just need the ClickUp task to be generated once.

Here's a video I made for you to help you understand @Supreme.

As you can see, any change to any card in that list causes a new task (I tried it with an older card as well and the same happens).

Hi @Supreme - nearly, and there is progress, but it still duplicates when I move the card OFF that list to another list... Moving OFF the list in the trigger does not mean "New Card"

The trigger? A specified list gets a new card - this can be either through one moving to it or when one gets created on it. Changing the content of the card should not trigger anything as the card already exists.

To me, the existing card description seems pretty obvious. For my circumstance, a card will always be moved to the list, but I imagine other users would expect the trigger to encompass the creation of a card on the list itself.

I notice every card gets its own URL (the bit after trello.com/c/ and before the card title that gets added to the URL - perhaps this can be used as an anchor? if Trello card trello.com/c/uniqueurl/123-card-title get moved to list XYZ, trigger the action.

The unique URL does not get changed if the card gets updated.

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @THATBranding

The trigger? A specified list gets a new card - this can be either through one moving to it or when one gets created on it. Changing the content of the card should not trigger anything as the card already exists.

To me, the existing card description seems pretty obvious. For my circumstance, a card will always be moved to the list, but I imagine other users would expect the trigger to encompass the creation of a card on the list itself.

I notice every card gets its own URL (the bit after trello.com/c/ and before the card title that gets added to the URL - perhaps this can be used as an anchor? if Trello card trello.com/c/uniqueurl/123-card-title get moved to list XYZ, trigger the action.

The unique URL does not get changed if the card gets updated.

We have added the filter condition in your workflow(https://connect.pabbly.com/workflow/mapping/IjU3NjAwNTY1MDYzNDA0MzE1MjY5NTUzNyI_3D_pc ) according to you need.

Kindly review that and let us know if that works for you.

1659942446019.png

Still not quite @Supreme - thanks for trying. Tasks are still created once I move the card back off the list onto another list

Moving a card to the specific list creates a task in ClickUp? Yes - good
Creating a card on the specific list creates a task in ClickUp? Yes - good
Changing card contents on the specific list creates a task in ClickUp? No - good
Deleting a card from the specific list creates a task in ClickUp? No - good
Moving a card from the specific list to a different list creates a task in ClickUp? Yes - not good

@Supreme Does it not make sense that "action_move_card_from_list_to_list" would encompass moving a card OFF a list as well as ON to a list? It is literally moving from one list to another, just as the filter says. So how do you add a rule that says "only when the destination list is X", where X is a list I specify?
Would it work if I did this:

1660049178319.png

Because that should exclude where the card was moved to a list that wasn't "GOOD TO APPROACH"?

I am going to test it...

I think I just solved it @Supreme .
1660050482131.png

In this scenario, it will only create tasks in ClickUp if the trigger was to move a card specifically to the "GOOD TO APPROACH" pile (not just moved between any lists) OR if the card was created on the list. It ignores card updates because they are neither moving cards nor creating cards.

Does this logic seem sound to you? I haven't realised this was how it worked.

Last edited: