• Instructions to Ask a Question

Click on the "Ask a Question" button and select the application for which you would like to ask questions.

We have 5 different products namely - Pabbly Connect, Pabbly Subscription Billing, Pabbly Email Marketing, Pabbly Form Builder, Pabbly Email Verification.

The turnaround time is 24 hrs (Business Hours - 10.00 AM to 6.00 PM IST, Except Saturday and Sunday). So your kind patience will be highly appreciated!

🚀🚀Exclusive Discount Offer

Just in case you're looking for any ongoing offers on Pabbly, you can check the one-time offers listed below. You just need to pay once and use the application forever -

🔥 Pabbly Connect One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) -  View offer 

🔥 Pabbly Subscription Billing One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) - View offer

Return One File in Dropbox

vannemic

Is there a way to search for a file in Dropbox and have it only return on file? As of now, it looks like if there are multiple files with the same something in their filenames, it will return a list of files. I would like it to only return one file it finds within a folder with the query.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 7.48.55 PM.png

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @vannemic

In the Query field of the DropBox action step, if you pass the exact name of the file it will get the single file name.

But if you pass the substring of the file name then it will not bring the single file, it will show all file names with it.

So, for your concern, you should pass the exact name instead.

vannemic

Hi. Yes, however, I am wanting Pabbly to randomly choose a file from the folder, not all the files. For instance, if I have 3 files in a folder called "Video 1," Video 2," and "Video 3," and I put in the term "video" for the search, I would want it to return one of those files, not all of them. This is something that Zapier, Make, and Integrately all do, so I was not sure why Pabbly does not have this function. Thanks!

vannemic

Yes. I am trying to migrate my automation over from Zapier and Make.com, so here is an example of what I have setup on Zapier when I just want it to find a file with a basic query within Dropbox (see attached). You can see that I am just giving it the term "mp4" and it is returning one result for an item with that search term.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 7.23.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 7.23.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 7.23.30 PM.png

Supreme

Staff member
I am trying to migrate my automation over from Zapier and Make.com, so here is an example of what I have setup on Zapier when I just want it to find a file with a basic query within Dropbox (see attached). You can see that I am just giving it the term "mp4" and it is returning one result for an item with that search term.
If you want to operate the only recent output file from the response then regarding your concern you can map/pass/use the 0th index file from the DropBox's API response.

1669705532561.png

vannemic

Hi. Yes, I have tried that, but it does not return any results that I can use that is relevant to the actual file, such as a direct file link, download link, etc.

Supreme

Staff member
Hey @vannemic

Could you please share the name and path of the file which you are looking for in the API response in the workflow?

Since the Dropbox action step is giving the response as requested by the application.