• Instructions to Ask a Question

    Click on the "Ask a Question" button and select the application for which you would like to ask questions.

    We have 5 different products namely - Pabbly Connect, Pabbly Subscription Billing, Pabbly Email Marketing, Pabbly Form Builder, Pabbly Email Verification.

    The turnaround time is 24 hrs (Business Hours - 10.00 AM to 6.00 PM IST, Except Saturday and Sunday). So your kind patience will be highly appreciated!

    🚀🚀Exclusive Discount Offer

    Just in case you're looking for any ongoing offers on Pabbly, you can check the one-time offers listed below. You just need to pay once and use the application forever -

    🔥 Pabbly Connect One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) -  View offer 

    🔥 Pabbly Subscription Billing One Time Plan for $249 (🏆Lifetime Access) - View offer

  • Please note that the team will not be available on April 17th, 2024, due to a public holiday in India.

    During this period, support assistance may experience some delays.


I don't understand when getting this email there is no way I'm doing more than "500 requests per 100 seconds per project and 100 requests per 100 seconds per user"

I've check my Google Cloud API quota usage and I can't find anything, it all says zero, so not sure where exactly to check

Please any advice how to fix this? I see others have had this error but no one seems to have posted a solution, please help, thank you!!


Staff member
Could you please try adding a 1-minute delay after the Filter step and see if this resolves the issue for you?
Yes I did try that since I read it on another post, it did not work and still got the error.

Why would this even help though? It's not like it's adding a delay between Google steps? Maybe it would be better to put a delay between the google steps? So it looks up the value on the sheet, then pause, then changes the value on the sheet.

Ideally you guys are able to put a delay on it when it does more then 100 google actions in 100 seconds or something.
The only thing that has seem to work was change the drive account I syned it with. I changed it to another email, on the same domain, and soon I will change all of them to that email to see if it works for all of them. But my fear will soon that email will hit the limit too.
It's odd to because on my workflows where it's just added a row it works fine.

But the workflows with "Google Sheets : Lookup Spreadsheet Rows" is where that step breaks due to "resources exhausted"



Staff member
I had a discussion with the technical team, and they informed me that, based on your task history, we can see that you have used the Google Sheets action step in many of your workflows. Each workflow is being executed seconds apart from each other, and because of this, you are encountering resource-exhausted issues.

image (85).png